Jim Carpenter Company ​

​A Lester Group Company

history

Jim Carpenter Company was founded in 1955 by James P. Carpenter.  Mr. Carpenter saw a need in the Fredericksburg area for a full service lumberyard.  The company grew and moved to its current location at 1 Joseph Mills Drive in Fredericksburg, Virginia.

​The Lester Group was established in 1896 by G.T. Lester in Martinsville, Virginia. At the time, The Lester Group was known as the Lester Lumber Company. It originally consisted of a small sawmill and planning mill, with a small tract of timber land. Over the course of its first 100 years, the company has grown into a multi-faceted operation with the strength to survive two major fires and numerous economic highs and lows.

Today, The Lester Group, Inc. includes three building supply dealers, in addition to Jim Carpenter Company.

Lester Building Supply began operations in Martinsville, VA early in the company history. 

Building Supply of Manassas
is opening in Manassas, VA in the fall of 2015.

Lester Forestlands manages over 18,000 acres of timberland from planting, to thinning, to harvesting while maintaining hunt club leases on all tracts.

Lester Properties & Lester Development Corporation manage and develop commercial, retail, residential, and subdivision properties. 

(540) 899-0031

Mon - Fri 7 to 5


1 Joseph Mills Drive, Fredericksburg, Virginia 22408​